Crosscare Housing and Welfare Information

Crosscare is a service which provides information and support around housing and social welfare issues.

Opening Hours:
Monday 10 am – 4pm, Tuesday 10am – 4pm, Wednesday 2pm – 4pm, Thursday 10am – 1pm and Friday 10am – 4pm.
Polish Language Service available: Tuesday 10am – 4pm, Friday 10am – 4pm
Roma/Romanian Language Service available: Wednesday 2pm – 4pm

Address: 2 Sackville Place, Dublin 1
Phone:01 8726775
Email: [email protected]

Social Welfare and Housing

Social Welfare
In Ireland, the Department of Social Protection is responsible for giving social welfare and assistance to people through local social welfare offices or Intreo offices. PPS Number centres are responsible for issuing PPS or social security numbers which people need to register for tax, apply for bank accounts, apply for certain medical tests etc. You can find a list of the centres here:

To apply for a PPS number you need to have I.D. e.g. passport or driving licence and proof of address e.g. a bill with your name and address on it. You also need to give a reason for applying for the PPS number e.g.  you need it to register for a free smear test in the Cervical Check screening programme. You can find out more information about applying for a PPS number here:

Child Benefit
If you have a child and are living in Ireland you can apply for Child Benefit. This is a payment of €140 per month for one child. For more information on how to apply click here

Exceptional Needs Payments
If you are in a financial crisis
you can apply for an exceptional needs payment from your local Social Welfare office. You can apply even if you do not qualify for any other social welfare payment i.e. haven’t lived in Ireland a long time or haven’t had a formal job in Ireland. To apply for an exceptional needs payment you need a PPS number and evidence of income, if you have any. Find out more here

The local social welfare office where you live can advise you on the different benefits available and if you are eligible for them. You can also read about them here:

Ireland is experiencing a housing and homeless crisis. There is a very limited supply of apartments and houses, and rents are very high in most cities and towns. Sex workers face serious housing problems in Ireland. Landlords charge high rents they know workers have few options. Some landlords blackmail and extort money from sex workers.  If you want advice on housing please contact SWAI on 085 824 9305 or at [email protected]

Homelessness Supports
If you have nowhere to stay and cannot pay for accommodation you can contact the local authority to ask for a place in emergency accommodation. In Dublin the Central Placement Office coordinates emergency accommodation. To apply for emergency accommodation you have to go to the office at Parkgate Hall, 6-9 Conygham Road, Dublin 8. It is open 10am to 12 noon and from 2pm to 4pm Monday to Friday.

The Central Placement Service (CPS) can be contacted by phone between 2pm – 2am Monday to Friday  and 10am – 2am at weekends and bank holidays at 1800 707 707
For information on accessing homeless supports and accommodation in Dublin click here:

If you want advice on housing please contact SWAI on 085 824 9305 or at [email protected]

For information on accessing homeless supports and accommodation in Cork click here

For information on accessing homeless supports and accommodation in Galway click here